Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guadalupe Mountains National Park - Jeeping Williams Ranch Road

Post Thanks / Like
    Salt, LOL. Who would have thought

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my route. I could go through San Antonio but I think it would be more fun to see something other than the big city!

Still looking at October for this trip. Will have dates a.s.a.p. for anyone that would like to meet up along the way or meet up at the park.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	katy2gmnp.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	99

Post Thanks / Like
    It was suggested by the Flatlander Jeeps of West Texas to check out the Lincoln National Forest as well for some trails.

Doing a little research I found a website (http://lincoln-nf-trails.org/Trails/...-pdf-main.html) with this description of the roads in the area: I have highlighted the best part. This area sounds promising.

FR540 is a good gravel road, and generally can be traveled in a standard vehicle. FR69/County 412 and FR67 are lesser gravel roads and generally can be traveled in a standard vehicle, although some sections and crossings are rough. Other roads are gravel/dirt and a high clearance/4WD vehicle is recommended.

FR201 connects FR540 to many trails in the Cave Canyon area and is considered impassable for most high clearance 4WDvehicles. FR3008 connects FR540 to the South area trails and is considered impassable for most high clearance 4WD vehicles. A heavy duty high clearance 4WD vehicle or an ATV is recommended for these roads.

Here is where FR540 and FR210 meet, FR3008 is just a bit south of there.
    32.042096, -104.800328

For giggles I did directions on Google maps from the coordinates above to the Dark Canyon Lookout Observation Point on FR210 and Google said it would take 32 mins to go 6 miles.

Unfortunately there isn't a quick way to get from where you are going to this area. About 2.5hrs and at that point you drive right by Carlsbad Caverns and Sitting Bull falls so might as well stop there.

Could make a couple day trip just exploring the area it seems.
    1993 2 door XJ 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door XJ 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door XJ 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

4. Thanks Tony thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to meet up and tag alone if I get the XJ up and running by the time.