Thread: XJ Cherokee driveline question

Post Thanks / Like

XJ Cherokee driveline question

Hey all~
    We just got a 2000 Cherokee Classic with 91000 miles (it is Red!) for my son. The previous owner put a Rough Country lift (springs, shocks, add-a-leaf, and sway-bar links) on it not long ago (springs are still clean). It drives really well -until you get to 60mph. Then their is noise and vibration from the rear. I'm thinking that it is the driveshaft due to the altered geometry. I'm afraid that the answer may be a SYE.
    My question is: What is the least expensive/easiest way to eliminate the vibration, whether it is a SYE or something else? I'm not wanting invest a whole lot of money. I know an SYE and a new drive shaft can run near $1000. I don't want to double the value of the Jeep, but I want it right. (I am able to install the SYE myself, time permitting) Any advice on solutions and/or equipment brands would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    The angle of the output of the transfer case and the pinion yoke need to be within 6 degrees (I think) of one another.

Check this first. If it is SYE is one answer, but you can shim the leaf pack, or put in a 1" transfer case drop. The kit, 4.5 or greater, should have come with a transfer case drop.

Quote Originally Posted by jojekin View Post
    Hey all~
    We just got a 2000 Cherokee Classic with 91000 miles (it is Red!) for my son. The previous owner put a Rough Country lift (springs, shocks, add-a-leaf, and sway-bar links) on it not long ago (springs are still clean). It drives really well -until you get to 60mph. Then their is noise and vibration from the rear. I'm thinking that it is the driveshaft due to the altered geometry. I'm afraid that the answer may be a SYE.
    My question is: What is the least expensive/easiest way to eliminate the vibration, whether it is a SYE or something else? I'm not wanting invest a whole lot of money. I know an SYE and a new drive shaft can run near $1000. I don't want to double the value of the Jeep, but I want it right. (I am able to install the SYE myself, time permitting) Any advice on solutions and/or equipment brands would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll check the angles. Thanks Tony!