Thread: Remote Garage Door Opener

Post Thanks / Like

Remote Garage Door Opener

I know not exactly a Jeep post, but you can put your Jeep in the garage, you know if it fits!

Remote garage door open/close isn't something of science fiction. This capability has been around for years. If you are lucky enough to have enough room in your garage to park your vechicle(s) then you probably have a remote clipped to your visor.

What I'm talking about here is something new, and not yet readily available. The ability to open and close your garage door via the spoke word.

Surely you're aware of the Amazon Echo, and the Google Home device. You speak to them and ask them questions or issue commands.

I have started home automation with our Amazon Echo. We have several wall switches that are all available to the Echo for control.

One thing that happens occasionally is the garage door isn't or doesn't close when I leave for work. Maybe I pressed the buttom, maybe I didn't/ Perhaps the garage door opener sensor detected something in the way and raised back up. I usually verify the door is on it's way down before I drive off, but waiting for it to close completely? Ain't nobody got time for that!

I have a couple of older Raspberry Pi's laying around so I decided to see if I could use one to control the garage door.

So use an old Pi, a $5.80 relay board from Amazon and a couple of jumpers I built this. Then downloaded and installed a piece of software that handles the communication between the Amazon Echo and the Pi.

This older Pi doesn't have WiFi built in so now I wait for the USB WiFi adapter to come in.

2. Likes Prerunner1982, drakan1908 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know a guy that uses SMS messages to unlock his door. If he has a repairman he gives them a one time code to open the door, they do their work and then leave. Door is locked automatically. I don't remember all the details but he gave a presentation at a local techie Meet Up.

4. Thanks Tony thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The WiFi adapter came in. I took a look at the garage door opener connections and this should be a piece of cake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170911_195902.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	391

I just have to tie in the relay to the same place the wall button is connected. Terminal screws 1 and 2.

Name:	image-20170911_194324.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	392

Just for grins, I was testing out a new sensor, I think I'm going to add temp, humidity, and barometric pressure to the garage door opener!

This is the current reading in my home office.

Chip ID : 96
    Version : 0
    Temperature : 27.42 C
    Temperature : 81.356 F
    Pressure : 1006.66863527 hPa
    Pressure : 29.7268960535 inches
    Humidity : 31.1287835463 %
    Dewpoint : 67.5817567093 F
    Last edited by Tony; 09-13-2017 at 10:48 AM.

6. Likes drakan1908 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stayed at an AirBnB that was like this. Worked out well... until the batteries in the door lock went bad and we had to call the owner at 1am to get her to come let us in and change the batteries. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Well you either change the batteries before they need to be changed, or do it at 1am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Testing...

Name:	20170915_094832.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	393