Thread: Is Tony okay?

Post Thanks / Like

Is Tony okay?

Just a question for all of us concerned for Tony's well-being.
    Is he doing alright?

2. Thanks Tony thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about him too. I remember him saying way back that one of the reasons he bought his jeep was to have it lifted just in case he needed to get his family out in a situation like this.
    Sonny in Philly

4. Thanks Tony thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is ok. Have seen him on Facebook and on the forums a bit.
    Since this forum, Jeep Talk Show webpage, and his other forums (XJtalk.com and Wranglertalk.com) are all run from a server in his house as long as the sites are up he is probably doing alright.
    1993 2 door 4x4 4.0 5 speed
    1997 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto RIP 6/6/2016
    2000 4 door 4x2 4.0 auto

Day of Dirt Adventure

6. Thanks drakan1908 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prerunner1982 View Post
    (XJtalk.com and Wranglertalk.com) are all run from a server in his house as long as the sites are up he is probably doing alright.
    That explains the short outage a couple days back. As an IT guy I would never run my own web server. Too dangerous and unreliable. But that's just me.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarrara View Post
    That explains the short outage a couple days back. As an IT guy I would never run my own web server. Too dangerous and unreliable. But that's just me.

Mark
    How long have you been in I.T.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I missed this thread until just now. Doing great! No water issues here at the house. Lots around us though.

10. Likes drakan1908 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think my first attempt at a reply got lost.

I started as a computer trainer in 1992. Then moved into desktop support then network admin. For the last almost 20 years I have been in educational IT. I am the IT director for a charter school in Albuquerque, NM.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I started in 1981. I've been running a website since 2007 (I think that's when xjtalk.com started) on non-redundant equipment and off of consumer grade Internet connectivity. Up time has been fantastic. The classic IT approach is to spend massive amounts of money usually because the manager, director, VP, or president, has no idea how I.T. works. Everyone plays along because they all want to be able to say, we did it right, when something goes wrong. Truth is you cannot plan for every thing.

I will have more outages than say a dedicated data center, or a hosted site, but I'm not spending $200+ a month for a VM that has a 1/10th the capacity of what I have here. Simple price/performance is what I'm looking at.

13. Likes drakan1908 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me running a local web host is not hard or expensive, but dangerous. You have to really be on your toes with security. My school's website gets minimal traffic, 500 users a day. We have a VPS, including SSL of about $30 a month. To me the piece of mind is worth that.

1981! That is a long time. While I did do some FORTRAN programming in college (the late 70's) I was in another line of work for almost 20 years before I got into computers. And I thought I have been doing it for a long time.

Mark