Thread: 88 YJ Clutch question

Post Thanks / Like

88 YJ Clutch question

Hey guys looking to pick up another Jeep today. It has a weird whine that owner states started after a recent clutch replacement. It almost sounds like it's in 4 lo but it's not. That kinda whine. It's pretty much what I've been looking for in a YJ for the wife but I have a broken shoulder at the moment making looking at things before buying a bit tough. It's has 4K and a rebuilt 4.2 / man trans / spartan up front.

Any ideas what's up with the whine?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll just say I don't know, I don't have any experience with a manual on a YJ, but the only whines I can think of would be the diff gears, or the gears in the manual transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya... its not coming from diffs. Possible it's in trans which is my worry but the guys says the whine appeared after just replacing the clutch which would lead one to think it's something there I'm just not sure what. I've done a lot of clutches in XJs but never one in a YJ. There just isn't much there to screw up. First thought was throw out bearing but I've never heard one sound quite like this.

Hopefully someone smarter than us will chime in

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh okay. My first car was a manual, and with a heavy foot and learning all about dumping the clutch I went through a lot of u-joints and clutch disks. I mean like 12! Got better after someone told me to resurface or replace the pressure plate and de-glaze the flywheel... but I digress. One of the other things I learned the hard way was getting a tool to center the clutch disk. I wonder if they just used the eyeball, tighten and stab it method? If the shaft was tweaked it could more the gear and cause a whine? I know I'm reaching but if the bearing was worn enough I think it could happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    That certainly could be a possibility!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Question, does it whine if the Jeep is not moving and does whether the clutch pedal is in or out affect it? Is it affected by what gear you are in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    Question, does it whine if the Jeep is not moving and does whether the clutch pedal is in or out affect it? Is it affected by what gear you are in?
    No. No whine when still. The noise only begins once clutch is engaged and the Jeep begins to move. It also varies with the amount of throttle. 1st and 2nd gear mostly. Once in third it goes away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you get into the tranny when this work was done?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not. I only recently added this YJ to my Jeep Harem. From what I gather the 4.2 was rebuilt a few months ago. What is slightly unclear is if the clutch was replaced when the rebuild went in or if it was shortly after. I THINK the rebuild went in. Noise appeared, had a clutch job done, noise persisted but I am not 100 percent on that. The clutch may have been done when th rebuild went in at the same time. Regardless a clutch kit was installed and the 4.2 rebuilt REAL close to one another if not at the same time. Now it has the annoying whine. I've rifled they the paperwork on the repairs and can't quite put the sequence together. There is some where dates are not legible. I really need to contact the shop where it was done just haven't made the time yet honestly. I have a broken shoulder and things have been hectic. Motor is under warranty as is clutch job from what I read. Only 4K on the rebuild with 30k 3 yr warranty. I'm not really one to send any of my Jeeps to the shop though and being one armed it's gonna be another few weeks before I can sort out the YJ.

I have driven it around a fair bit the last couple weeks. Just around our lake and what not. It's not getting any worse and as stated only whines in 1st - 2nd gear and even in 2nd only at certain application of throttle. Once into 3rd it's gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might try a product called Power Punch in the tranny when you heal up. It is the black gear additive. I have used it for years and it does quiet gear noise. All it does is make a better oil coating on the gears and make the oil film withstand more pressure. Also has Moly in it to fill in micro pits in the metal. Available at NAPA