Iíve been a Jeep Cherokee owner for nearly 20 years. Around 2005 I radically re-enginer my beloved 1998 Cherokee to be more off road capable. Actually the effort was mainly to create a vehicle for evacuation of my family, specifically a hurricane, but it could be any for any emergency that would clogged major outlets by non-off road capable vehicles, but thatís another story.

Now any of you that have a Cherokee know that the engine cooling system is barely adequate with your Cherokee in stock configuration. Raise the body 10 to 12 inches in the air now itís easier for that highway speed air to go above or below the radiator than through it.

With the heating of the Summer and a few people contacting the Jeep Talk Show Facebook page asking about running hot issues, I thought this would be a good time to touch on this subject.

First off you need to make sure your engine cooling system is 100% Youíll even see this in the forums. No a thermostat that opens at a lower temp will NOT solve your problem. The thermostat does not do anything to how hot or cool your system gets, just how quickly it will get the coolant to operating temp.

100% means radiator, hoses, coolant that is free of debris like rust, and the HEATER CORE! Now the pre-1997 Cherokees have a valve that opens and closes bypassing the heater core. You pre-1997 owners correct me on this. On the 1997 and later the heater core has engine coolant running through it all the time.

What hat means is if you have a small leak your system will NOT pressurize to the proper PSI needed. A PSI of 16 is what my 1998 runs at. If you canít get up to 16 PSI then the boiling power of your coolant drops. Boiling causes bubbles, bubbles do not allow proper heat transfer from the engine to the coolant.

For $50 on Amazon you can get a pressure tester. Great tool and will help you locate any leaks your coolant system may have.

Your cooling system is 100% and it still runs hot. This was my problem. Well the answer was the Jeep sensor and gauge LIE!

I connected a secondary temp monitoring system that I go by now. I do see 230 on the hottest Summer days after driving 20 miles, 70 mph, 2600 rpm then come to a stop. After a couple of miles of stop and go the temp will drop to the 217 to 220 range.

Do I like this? Well HELL no! I want 210 all the time! It just doesnít work like that, at least according to my experience.

Is there a way to improve the cooling system to get that prized 210 value all the time? I think you can, but itís not by using a three row all aluminum radiator. Tried it, didnít fix the issue. What I have right now is a Heavy Duty Chrysler radiator. Just like the one that came in the Jeep!

Now I have had an idea for a bit. You know how you can turn on the heater and put your fan on high to help reduce the engine coolant temp? The heater core is just a little radiator. What about putting in another heater core, place and electric fan on it, and plumb it in, inline with the factory heater core?

Some has done this, but they used a motorcycle radiator and mounted it near the rear shock tower. They are seeing a 25 to 35 degree drop in coolant temps!

Could you imagine being able to not only drive your Cherokee three hours to an off road park, but also able to wheel it and NOT be concerned about it over heating?!?!?