Thread: Hello all! New member with 2 questions. (wall of text, sorry :) )

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hello all! New member with 2 questions. (wall of text, sorry :) )

Hello all! As the title states, I am a new member to this forum, but a long time listener of the show. I did have a review read on the show a few months ago, I was the Navy Nuke (I doubt anyone remembers lol.) Please move this to the correct forum if this is the wrong place

I have been meaning to join for a long time. The two questions I have now were enough to finally get me to do it!

First off, the quick one. I had my 2008 (X, 4x4, manual) towed on a dolly. First it was lifted by the front wheels, moved a few feet so he could get to the back of it, and then towed less than a mile with the back wheels in the air. I had the transfer case in neutral (as far as I know, it is a little hard to tell, lol) and the transmission in neutral. Did I do anything wrong? I keep hearing that I should have removed the drive shaft, or that I needed to leave it in first gear (maybe reverse if picked up by the rear wheels?)

Second question is a bit longer. One morning my clutch pedal felt real odd. It was super light and fell most of the way to the floor, but the clutch would actuate in and out in the last like inch of the pedal's travel. But I left it at home and took the other car. I talked to my dad about it, and he seemed to think that the seal inside of the slave cylinder went out. Enough of the seal was left intact that it could actuate the pedal, but not at the same level as before. My friend and I attempted to change out the slave cylinder a few days ago. There was fluid in the boot when we took out the old one, which makes me think the diagnosis was correct. We got it installed, and attempted to bleed it, and nothing would come out. I then attached a vacuum pump and could not get ANY fluid to come out. So we took the cylinder out, and something terrible happened. The head of the plunger did not come out with the cylinder! We think it is stuck in there somewhere. A shop quoted me at $460 to drop the trans and replace it. I can manage this with a buddy of mine, but I was wondering if you guys might know where it could have gone, as in, maybe stuck to the fork, NOT at the bottom of the bell housing? I also saw that removing the starter motor, might be a way to get enough access to the bell housing to try and fish out the cap. After realizing this would stall us, we decided to pull the cap off of the old slave cylinder, and attempt to at least get the slave cylinder to function correctly. So we attempted to bench bleed the cylinder. At some point (the details of when are a bit foggy) a thick O-ring fell out of the hose. We did not notice at first, at when we attempted to bleed it, we heard the air leaking out, and then noticed the "O-ring" on the ground. We then tried to reinstall the O-ring, and had trouble installing it, and at this point we gave up and called it a day. SO SORRY for the HUGE wall of text, but I am super frustrated and now my Jeep is completely immobile. ANY help would be appreciated.

So my question is, how can I get the cap out, and I am looking for more specific guidance on how to get the slave cylinder to work.

Thanks all, glad to finally be a member of this forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. It would help a little if we knew what Jeep you had, but at this point I am assuming it is a wrangler since you have a manual trans. If all the wheels were in the air, it doesn't matter what gear it is in really since the wheels are not touching the ground. For further info on this I need to know what transfer case you have.

As far as the slave cylinder goes, were you loosing fluid when all this was happening? I am assuming you weren't. Even though there was some fluid in the boot of the slave, the symptoms you are describing point to a worn out master cylinder, which makes me think this is why you were having trouble bleeding it. You should always bench bleed stuff before you put it in. If that rod is in the bell housing, you better get that out before starting it. Your clutch and associated parts will not like it if it falls down there.

Edit: Just saw your other post, so I know now you have a wrangler.

3. Thanks kotsberep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought posting in Wrangler JK/JKU was a explanation enough haha. But my apologies. All wheels were not in the air. I had it on a 2 wheel up in the air dolly. I was saying my reason for putting the Xfer case and transmission in neutral were because he towed it both possible ways (front wheels up, then back wheels up.) I posted somewhere on reddit and someone was saying it could've caused damage to my transfer case, since even in neutral, both axles are designed to spin on a wrangler, regardless of Xfer case position, which seems really stupid and not user friendly/intuitive to me. Which is why I feel like I caused some damage.

I was not losing fluid. It shares the reservoir with the brakes, but it was not empty. Okay, so master cylinder, I can dig that. But even if the master went out, I should still be able to suck some fluid out from the slave with a vacuum pump right? That is the part that has me thinking I installed it incorrectly. And I do agree with taking out the cap, but someone told me its just plastic, and too big to get in between the clutch and the flywheel, but I am still not sure. :/

Post Thanks / Like
    After thinking about this a little more, the last time I did a slave I just closed the bleeder valve and tipped the business end down and pushed the rod in and out a few times. This pushes air out the line (make sure it is in the highest point) and then sucks fluid back in. Then I just bolted it in. If you have a NP231 transfer case then you need to make sure the rear wheels are turning. There is a pump in it attached to the rear output. So if you tow, the tcase needs to be in 2WD with trans in neutral. And yes, the front wheels will turn the chain inside. This allows you shift into 4WD quickly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4.3LXJ View Post
    If you have a NP231 transfer case then you need to make sure the rear wheels are turning. There is a pump in it attached to the rear output. So if you tow, the tcase needs to be in 2WD with trans in neutral. And yes, the front wheels will turn the chain inside. This allows you shift into 4WD quickly
    So do you think I hurt anything towing it how I did? Also, I am having trouble understanding what the point of the neutral position is in the transfer case. It does not make a lot of sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neutral is something tcases have always had. Usually it is a distance between high and low, like a transmission so conventional design has a neutral in it when shifting. The front axle engagement, 2WD is the neutral position and 4WD is the engaged position. Probably didn't hurt it with short distance involved.

8. Thanks kotsberep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!
    Tammy

Post Thanks / Like
    you shouldn't have hurt anything in a neutral/neutral setup. The only thing that would have happened to hurt the jeep would be if you were in 4wd and not in neutral. but you would have noticed immediately. Either the jeep would have climbed out of the cradle (front wheels turning), or the rear would have dragged rather than spun. As long as neither of those happened you should have been fine for the towing part...
    Last edited by BlackKnight; 10-04-2017 at 06:27 AM.