Thread: Driveline brake

Post Thanks / Like

Driveline brake

In my build, i am planning on putting a driveline brake on it, and removing the back wheel emergency brakes, on my 86 cj7. I have never had a vehicle with this type of brake on it before, so I am looking to hear people's experience using them as cutting brakes, etc.
    I have already purchased it from High Angle Driveline, but it is not here yet, I am eagerly awaiting it. There already is a problem that i had to solve, my original plan was to use a cable shifter on the Dana 300 but i want to mount a Lokar emergency brake transmission mounted lever for the brake, and it will cause interference problems with the cable shifter as the mechanism would stick several inches out front of the transfer case. To resolve this, i went with an AA twin stick setup, which i will be installing soon. That caused another problem as the AA kit comes with new shift rails, but they are not clearanced for the larger 4:1 gears. This was fixed by having the 4:1 kit shift rail machined to have the same threads as the AA kit. It is amazing how these problems just cascade from one to the other, cause and effect, lol.

Anyway, let's hear experiences with driveline brakes on CJ's!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, tell me about it. When I put in my Atlas, I got the "kit". After I remade it I was happy with it. As far as drive line brake, I run one. It is Parts Mike kit. You can see one on Tom Woods site. It works, but is not designed as a high speed brake. It is a parking brake only. The lining on the disc pads starts smoking when hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    well, i got my driveline brake on the transfer case, man what a pain that was, when it came in, the caliper would not fit, there were clearance problems. since the disc bolted to the back of the 1350 flange, i had to machine 60 thousandths off the back of the flange to get enough clearance for the caliper to fit. Most of the problems were caused by the very poor casting of the AA output shaft housing. the brake bracket bolts up against the housing where it bolts onto the transfer case, and the thickness of that flange varied by as much as 1/4 inch all the way around. I make it work but it took a lot of elbow grease to get it there. Now i need to get the lever and cable and hook that upl. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170626_053134.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	399

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing on that lever. I have the 1350 CV joint on that same set up. I had to bend the lever a little to keep the CV from hitting the lever